Thursday, July 9, 2015

Old Florida

Dave and I have signed up for a course at Rollins College.  Our first session is this afternoon.  It's part of Rollins Lifelong Learning program.  Our class is titled "Florida Goes to the Movies" and will be taught by Florida historian, Joy Dickinson.  Joy writes a Florida history column for the Sunday paper.

Almost two decades ago I wrote a book about old
Central Florida, called "Florida, A Love Story."  It featured Cole, a Florida cowboy and Catherine, a transplanted Northerner, living in Central Florida about 150 years ago.

The book didn't get published because it was a bad book.  But am I sorry I wrote it?  No.  Doing the research about what life was like right where I live was exciting.  I learned a lot.  Long before oranges, celery, beaches and early movies; cattle, cowboys, rustlers and Native Americans ruled.  Maybe I'll look up the book and share a few of its' exciting stories with you some time soon.

In the meantime, we've done our homework and are ready for our first class.  What was the homework?  We watched the 1954 scary movie "Creature from the Black Lagoon,"  filmed in Wakulla Springs in Ocala, Florida.

It was hysterical!


***