Sunday, July 5, 2015

Me, Earl and the Dying Girl

Yesterday Dave and I went to our little jewel of an art theater, the Enzian to see the Sundance Film Festival award winning film,  "Me, Earl and the Dying Girl."

I loved this smart, funny, sad, real movie about families.

My biggest take-away was the reminder that we can't protect our kids from pain.  Why would we even try?  It's part of life.  It's part of loving each other.  I loved that the boy's mom, who seemed pretty clueless in some ways, pushed her son into a painful situation.  It was the right thing to do.

By the way, the adults in this film were not portrayed as total doofuses.  They were loving, flawed and complex.  I loved that the teens were ordinary (make that normal) looking.  The only actors in the movie I recognized were the moms, played by Connie Britton and Molly Shannon.
The Dying Girl, played by Olivia Cook, Me, played by
Thomas Mann, and Earl, played by RJ Cyler.

To me, movies, when they're done well,  are story-telling at its best.


***