Friday, July 10, 2015

Brother Anthony of the Cross

Several of you have asked me about my friend, Jim McWhinnie, whom I've quoted a few times in this blog.  Jim is a brilliant retired United Methodist minister who has Alzheimer's disease.  He's also seeped in Benedictine spirituality and sometimes refers to himself as Brother Anthony of the Cross. 

To those of you asking if he still posts on Facebook, the answer is yes.  He's prolific.  And, yes, he's still being open about his declining health.  His writing deals openly with fear, sadness and anger as well as joy and thankfulness.  

Even as Jim's Alzheimer's progresses, he's still in ministry to other patients - as well as to me through his writing.  Following is one of his postings from a few days ago.  It moved me deeply.    

I can only hope that, when I'm old and frail and no longer able to care for myself, there will be someone in my life who will love me just like I am - and that God will be present in my room. 

MY ALZHEIMER'S JOURNAL ... July 6, 2015
One of my Hospice patients who has lingered beyond the projection for his departure is a man I shall call "Bill". Bill is in his late eighties, overcame cancer three times since his retirement, but now it appears the fourth bout will prove to be too much for his body. He also is in the late stages of Alzheimer's, though on good days he can still communicate a few words gives me a smile when I visit. He is a good and sweet man, all around him are photographs of his life. In one he is standing beside the fighter plane he once flew. In another, he is in his firefighters' dress blues receiving an award for heroism. I have learned much of Bill's life - not from Bill's lips but from another gentleman in his late eighties, a fellow I shall call "Hal". He sits with Bill every day, morning to night and at night, the staff brings him a cot when he chooses to spend the night. "Hal" has known "Bill" for sixty-five years. And they have shared the same living space for sixty of those years.
When I pray with "Bill", "Hal" prays with me ... and sometimes "Hal" cries and "Bill"touches his hand.
And no matter what many might say or what many might think ... I have found God to be so very present in that room.

Brother Jim McWhinnie

Again, thank you Jim. 


***