Thursday, September 4, 2014

He Needed to Find Himself

When I saw this cartoon in the current New Yorker Magazine I immediately thought back to a time in the late 1960s.  I was working at Emory University where my husband, Ken, was in seminary.

We had two preschool children.  I was supporting us because Ken wanted to work, without pay, in a downtown Atlanta church that was newly integrating.

Even then he was all about "the big picture," saving the world, discovering new things about himself, etc.  He had no time for the mundane.

I was all about being a mom and putting food on the table - not to mention being totally exhausted most of the time.

And then he came home one evening and told me about a trip he needed to take.  I kind of went berserk inside.  But I coped, as I did many times, by writing a poem about the experience and then selling the poem to a magazine for $25.

I don't remember but maybe that paid for gas money for "The Trip."  Here's the poem:

THE TRIP

You explained to me, 
    (as the father explains
    to the dull child why
    he must do Important
    Things and therefore is
    semi permanently unavailable-
    able)

That you had to go to one more
    seminar,
That explores the inner man,
At a lakeside hotel, 
in Florida,
Near Disney World,  (as stated
    in the letter)
At not a small financial and
    emotional sacrifice to
    all of us,

To, quote, 
"Find myself."

Tell me, 
Were you there?


***