Thursday, September 25, 2014

Banned Books Week

This week,  September 21st through 27th, is "Banned Books Week."  It's celebrated by libraries and book stores across the nation to draw attention to the books that we would never be exposed to if the book banners had their way.

When my kids were growing up I encouraged them to read.  Period.  Furthermore, they were encouraged to discuss books and newspaper articles with me.  However, I refused to listen to a TV or movie plot.

This year's most hotly challenged book is "The Adventures of Captain Underpants" by Dav Pilkey.  This, despite the fact that this series of books has sold tens of millions of copies.  I'm proud to say I've read this hysterically funny book about fourth-graders and their hero "Captain Underpants."  I have my younger grandsons to thank for this experience.

Has reading "Captain Underpants" enriched my life?  I'd have to say "yes."  Has reading all but four of the following 30 classic books that have either been banned or seriously challenged changed my life?  Will it change yours?


  • The Great Gatsby
  • The Catcher in the Rye
  • The Grapes of Wrath
  • To Kill a mockingbird
  • The Color Purple
  • Ulysses
  • Beloved
  • The Lord of the Flies
  • 1984
  • Lolita
  • Of Mice and Men
  • Catch-22
  • Brave New World
  • Animal Farm
  • The Sun Also Rises
  • As I Lay Dying
  • A Farewell to Arms
  • Their Eyes Were Watching God
  • Invisible Man
  • Song of Solomon
  • Gone with the Wind
  • Native Son
  • One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
  • Slaughterhouse-Five
  • For Whom the Bell Tolls


I can't say for sure that these books will change your life.  But they changed mine.


***