Tuesday, September 9, 2014

You Aint Woman Enough to Take My Man!

Loretta Lynn being presented
with the Presidential Medal of
Freedom
On Saturday Dave and I went to the movies to see Get on Up, the life story of James Brown, then came home, went to bed and watched Coal Miner's Daughter, the life story of Loretta Lynn, on TCM.

That's right.  I watched five hours of movies on Saturday!

On the face of it, these movies have a lot in common.  James Brown survived a hideous southern upbringing to become the King of Soul.  Loretta Lynn survived a hard but loving southern upbringing to become the Queen of Country.   I can't relate much to James Brown.  Loretta and I have a lot in common.  Her songs have been an honest reflection of her life.

I was born a coal miner's daughter, In a cabin on a hill in Butcher Holler. 

Loretta and I both went through our season of popping out babies and wondering about what more ilfe would hold for us.  

But here in Topeka the screen door's a bangin,' the coffee's a boilin' over and wash needs a hangin' ...one wants a cookie, one wants a changin'......and one's on the way.

As you know, I am a strong believer in the strength and power of women around the world being unleashed for the good of humankind.  For that to happen we have to occasionally stand up to our men and set some parameters.

Don't come home a drinkin' with lovin' on your mind.

While some folks think of Loretta Lynn as nothing more than a poor, white, female country singer with a bunch of kids and a philandering husband - she's been so much more.  As her world opened up she shared her insights with the rest of us.  As you know about me, I am a huge proponent of access to birth control for every woman all over the world.  One of Loretta Lynn's songs spoke to this issue in a big way and she suffered much adversity because of it.

I'm tearin' down your brooder house 'cause now I've got the pill.

Thanks, Loretta.  I got it too!


***