Thursday, September 18, 2014

Full Disclosure

Dave and Cess Now
Over the weekend we visited my daughter and family in Atlanta.  On Sunday morning we greeted scores of folks at Peachtree Road United Methodist Church in Buckhead.  I believe my daughter told every one of them how old both Dave and I are.

We're fine with that.  Proud even.  But, as time passes and negative things happen, we'll have to decide what to share and how to share it.

One of my heroes in that area is my old friend the Reverend Jim McWhinnie.  Jim continues to openly share his brave journey into Alzheimer's disease with insight and humor.

Recently he told us how his neighbor asked him to speak to her husband about his inability to acknowledge his Alzheimer's diagnosis.  Jim was surprised that this neighbor knew about his own diagnoses - but I'm not surprised.  He's become a hero with his openness.   Here are Jim's words:

...at first he was a bit annoyed with his wife's intrusion.  But after awhile, when she had gone to answer the telephone he confessed "Sir, I know I am losing it...but I want to stay strong for her."...Here is this man...trying to be strong by denying what he has come upon.  

Dave and Cess Later
Alzheimer's is still a rather private thing...only mentioned publicly in terms of pity or sometimes with jests in heavy-hearted honor...I think it is time for us to come out into sunshine and all of us who walk with the Grey Lady shout out..."Here I am...Alzheimer's and all!  Come and talk with me in ways that I still can."

With whatever debilitating illness that may (will) befall me, I want to mirror Jim's attitude.  Openness with love and humor.




***