Saturday, May 3, 2014

The Coop

John Rivers is legendary in these parts.  When he opens a restaurant, success is all but assured.  His Texas inspired 4 Rivers Smokehouses continually have lines around the block.

In addition to that he gives back to the community in all sorts of ways.  He's an inspiration to all who know him.

So when he opened a new restaurant with a new concept a couple of weeks ago I was pumped.  It's called The Coop and features real southern dishes.  Naturally, with the name The Coop, chicken is big.  Fried.  Yum.

We drive past the restaurant often and, since opening,  the line has been out the door and around the building.  So we strategically waited until this past Friday and timed ourselves to get there at 1:45 PM.  Still a line but it wasn't out the door.

I, of course, had the three piece fried chicken lunch,  With 18 sides or "Fixins" to choose from it was difficult but I settled on smashed potatoes and southern collards.  I'm so sorry to say I didn't care for it.  My chicken leg was good and the collards were good but, since I didn't order the gravy, the rest was dry and heavy.  I had to come home and drink a tall glass of Alka Selzer.


All of the 18 Fixins are fat laden.  Most of the meats are fried.  I'm sure the majority of folks love this.  In fact, I know they do because I could see them enjoying themselves.  And I'm aware that I'm not the target customer.  But I would like to respectfully suggest to Mr. Rivers that southern cooks almost always offer fresh vegetables - some of them not even loaded with pork bits.  I did see a dish offered with a slice of watermelon garnish.  That's a good start.

Yes, I'm going back to The Coop.  I want to try the oyster po-boy and the catfish and grits.  Maybe I'll hide some green onions and sliced tomatoes in my pocket.


***