Friday, May 2, 2014

Haddy is Gone

The other half on my Oldies died a few weeks ago in Colorado.  She was 94.  Old enough to be my mom.  But she wasn't.  She was my friend.

Harry and Haddy Welch were an amazing couple.  He was like a beautiful kite whirling up to the clouds.  She was at the other end of the string.  Gently grounding him.  She was a quiet dutiful and somewhat obedient wife.

People used to say that if Harry died first Haddy would soon follow because she couldn't function without him.  I never believed that.  I knew it was the other way around.

But I was totally unprepared for what happened.  When Harry died in 2011 she blossomed.  How can a person who is 92 and has serious dementia blossom?  I don't know but she did.

She became an artist.  Her work was bright and cheerful.  Some of the prized pieces were auctioned off.

I don't usually like it when someone dies and we hear mostly about the last few quiet years of their lives - but this time it was different.

Haddy made a name for herself.


***