Friday, May 16, 2014

Sleep Meds and Addiction

Twelve days ago I asked my doctor for a 30 day, 5 mg (lowest dose) prescription for Zolpidem (generic for Ambien.)   My last prescription was over a year ago.  My insurance company absolutely refused to pay.  So, today, after almost two weeks of battling,  I threw up my hands and said, "Fine, I'll pay for it myself."

As you know, I don't sleep.  Never have.  That is to say, sleep is something that I have to purposefully make happen.  Lack of sleep does a number on us physically and mentally.

At this stage, most of my friends are having the same issue.  But I've had insomnia forever.  I usually take half a Benedryl about three hours before bedtime.  This along with a light supper and plenty of quiet time usually, eventually, gets me to sleep.  But I'm always up an hour or so during the night and I get out of bed before seven every morning.

How about napping?  I never have.  I can't.  So please don't tell me to "just take a nap."

Occasionally my three hour bedtime routine is interrupted.  Like, for instance, I want to go out and enjoy myself like a normal person.  If I stay out until, say, midnight, there's no chance of going to sleep that night.  Period.

Until, about three years ago, I discovered Ambien.  I know it makes some folks crazy but it's great for me.  I take the lowest dose, 5 mg.  It still takes at least an hour to get to sleep but when I do I sleep for six straight hours.

 I've never done that prior to Ambien.

How often do I take it?  I try to limit myself to once a month.  I know that sounds rigid but I don't want to become addicted and wake up in a wedding dress,  stirring cake batter while riding our new SunRail system - and wonder how I got there.

 I know addiction is a big problem, especially here in Florida ( the Pill Mill State) but Ive never had delusions, hallucinations, euphoria or amnesia due to sleep meds.  Sounds like it could be fun but I'm pretty much a stickler about taking medicine only when absolutely necessary.

So I'v been embarrassed by the insurance company's attitude.

The end of the story is that I went to Walgreen's this afternoon to pick up my prescription and was careful to take my big credit card.  The bill was $9.32.  The insurance company had paid.

I don't get it!  But I now have enough Ambien (30 pills)
for another couple of years.   So I'm happy.


***