Sunday, April 6, 2014

Where Shopping Is a Pleasure

I love Publix Supermarkets.  I especially love my local store, Publix at Palm Springs Crossing.  This store has seen me through many phases of my life.  Once, when I was going through a particularly hard time,  this older stock guy always came out from the back to talk with me - and even chased me down the isle a couple of times to make sure I was ok that day.  He was my Publix therapist.

I'm proud that Publix has an excellent reputation for taking care of its employees and its customers and has an exemplary record of public service.

 But Publix has had one continuing problem here in Florida that I can't get my head around.  For years they have refused to deal with the  plight of Florida tomato pickers.  These folks work for sub poverty wages under miserable conditions.  They've been beaten, sexually and physically abused and have even lost their lives.

Coalition of Immokelee Workers, an advocacy group for tomato pickers,  would like Publix to be part of a fair food program.  Publix has extensive influence over suppliers.  Currently, the request is an extra penny a pound for tomatoes.

Other retail food providers like Burger King, Walmart (Walmart?) Trader Joe's, Subway and McDonalds have signed on.  Publix refuses.  I don't get it.  It makes me sad.

Many folks, when they are at their Publix checkout, leave a penny and a note to encourage Publix to do the right thing.  At my Publix customer care counter they now have a penny jar so customers can make their point easily without holding up the line.

I'm working on filling that jar!


***