Monday, April 14, 2014

Does Struggling Change Us?

Struggle brings us to crossover points in life after which we become new people, sometimes worse, often better, but always different.   - Joan Chittister


On Wednesday we finished our study, "Scarred by Struggle, Transformed by Hope."  We had such a great group of folks.  The discussion was rich.

The writer states that "Struggle changes us.  It grows us up."  I agree that struggle changes us.  But many of us are done in by it.  We lose everything, sometimes even our lives.

I clearly remember a couple of struggling times in my life that could have gone either way.  I had to consciously make a choice to care for myself rather than be consumed by other people's needs. It seemed selfish at the time but, looking back, I don't think I would have survived otherwise.

I have lived a long, hard, wonderful, and sometimes scary life and I have the emotional and physical scars to prove it.  But I'm here and I'm transformed.

And, as my African American preacher friend likes to say:

Easter is A Comin.'


***