Sunday, April 27, 2014

John Sanford Novels

John Sandford
As you know, I read books.  Lots of books.  Some for intellectual stimulation, some for spiritual guidance, some for pure knowledge - and some for pure pleasure.

And for pure pleasure I can always count on a John Sandford novel.  Most of his crime novels feature protagonist Lucas Davenport.  We've come a long way together but at this point he's rich, at the top of his game career-wise , happily married to a surgeon, but still out catching the bad guys (and gals.)

Sanford has written about 24 books featuring Lucas Davenport.  The titles all end with the word "Prey."  This is good and bad.  It's easy to find the titles but "Did I read Winter Prey or Hidden Prey or Invisible Prey?"  Not sure.  All 24 sound alike.

In recent years Sandford has written at least six novels in the Virgil Flowers series.  Last night I finished Mad River - a Virgil Flowers novel.   Very satisfying.  Virgil Flowers is a younger guy.  He's tall, blond and good looking.  He's pretty much irresistible to women.  He's been married and divorced three times.  He's killed people in the line of duty.  He talks to God every night before going to sleep.

Now don't think I'm recommending Sandford novels.  You may not like them.  But don't think because I'm a little old Methodist lady that you'll be bored by them.  They are gritty crime novels,  with a high body count.  Always.  The characters use bad words.

But, to me, the writing is rich.  Sandford finds the humanity in every one of his characters.  The books are warm and funny.  I'm pretty good at speed reading, outlining and skimming.  I have no desire to do that with these novels.  I like reading every word.

In the beginning of Mad River, Virgil has spent the night drinking with his friends.  His boss, Lucas Davenport (who has only a small part in this book) calls him about a new murder case but asks Virgil to get himself together before visiting the crime scene.  What I know about their relationship is that Lucas cares for and is protective of Virgil.  But what he says is this:

"How're you feeling?"

"Stone-cold sober, if that's what you mean."

"Good. It'd be best if you were gunned down in the line of duty, and not killed in a drunk-driving accident. "

No, it's not Shakespeare but it gives me pleasure and takes me away from real life for a time.


***