Sunday, February 23, 2014

Selfies

I'm sure you're aware that the Oxford Dictionary Word of the Year for 2013 is "Selfie" - barely beating out "Twerking." Both of these new words are also our two most annoying for the year 2013.  The acts themselves  - tweaking and taking selfies - are also extremely annoying.

Last Sunday one of my ministers, Rev. Jayne, preached a sermon called "Spiritual Selfies."  But just as she was beginning the sermon in our impressive sanctuary, with a full choir and pews filled, she said,

"Wait, I forgot to do something."

Wait!  I can do better. 
Then she searched around in her robe, finally pulled out her phone, tilted her head back and took a selfie.  She then muttered that it wasn't quite right, fixed her hair, moistened her lips and took some more selfies.  All the while several hundred of us were waiting.

She was making a point.  It was funny and a great way to start a sermon on spiritual depth.

I love and respect social media.  One reason is I get to stalk my kids and grand kids and they don't even know it.  It also helps with my work - and it is just plain enjoyable to see photos of friends and family from around the globe.

But it gets out of hand.  Here's a selfie.  But, OMG, my lips look funny!  Can you hold on while I take a couple more?


***