Thursday, February 6, 2014

Cataract Tales

When my good friend was a teenage volunteer Candy Striper in the 1960s, her job at the hospital was to feed folks who'd had cataract surgery.  This was because they couldn't move for several days. They had to remain perfectly still and, even then, serious head pain was an issue.

Cataracts have been dealt with in some fashion or other for centuries.  The first procedures involved sliding the film over to the side of the eyeball.  That must have been a little uncomfortable!

I had cataract surgery on Tuesday.  I was in and out of the Ophthalmology surgery center in about an hour and a half.  I'd like to tell you about the procedure but I, apparently, was asleep.  Only a little discomfort the first night, but now, two days out, I'm in no pain, and, best of all, I'm seeing better.

What interests me this morning is seeing different colors with my "new" eye than I'm seeing with the "old" one.  The wall looks a creamy beige with one and grayish with the other.  How exciting!

It's not quite as dramatic as the photo above but, there is a big difference, for sure.

Claude Monet was a famous cataract sufferer.  Lots of his paintings have been categorized over the years according to where he was in the process.

I'm just happy that things are rocking along with my eyes. And I'm being a good patient....using my various eye drops on schedule and not bouncing around at the gym too much.

Hopefully, I'll be ready to have the cataract in my other eye removed in a couple of weeks.  Can't wait to see what color the walls will be then.


***