Thursday, February 20, 2014

Security Blanket

Did you have a security blanket when you were a kid?  I don't remember if I did or not, but I hope so.   My kids had all sorts of security "blankets" and I encouraged it.  Anything that helped them feel comfort in times of stress, I was all for.

Restoration Hardware's Terry Cloth
Robe in Sable
While I can't remember much of my childhood,  I know I've had security "blankets" for much of my adult life - in the form of terry cloth robes.  Every morning, year round, the first thing I do is put on my big, fat robe.   I love my robe.

But here's the problem.  I like white terry cloth robes.  And since I sit in my favorite spot on the couch every morning for several hours reading and drinking tea, the robe gets spotted.  So it has to be washed.  This takes a while since it practically fills the entire washer, takes an hour to dry and it wears out the robe.

The other Saturday morning we stopped into Restoration Hardware.  Hanging there on a headless manikin was the solution.  A terry cloth robe in the color "sable" but, to me, looks like "tea."  Perfect.

My Dave immediately bought the robe.  But here's the problem.  My size wasn't in the store so had to be ordered.  In the meantime, the church had a rummage sale so I gave away my old robe.  And then, on Tuesday I had the cataract in my right eye removed.  When I got home from the surgery center, all doped up, I needed my robe.

I hope the new robe arrives soon.  In the meantime I'm wearing my pink hoodie.  It's not the same.


***