Friday, January 3, 2014

The Fur Hat

I have a good friend, one of my Power Rangers, who has a fur hat.  About eight years ago, when I began traveling north at Christmas time, she presented me with the hat.  Other Power Rangers lent winter clothes as well.  And, when I got to the windy city, I was so grateful.

But, actually, those first few years I didn't wear the hat. Why?  Because I had made a vow, decades earlier, that I would never wear fur.  The same was true for feathers.  At least one of my other Power Rangers feels the very same way.  As you might guess, this has to do with the exploitation of furry animals and birds.  How many of those cute little minks have to suffer and die to make a hat?  How many birds had to be shot and stuffed so they would hold still long enough for Mr. Audubon to paint them?

But, like many folks my age, I have mellowed and modified my views a bit.  My friend continued to offer the hat every year.  Eventually, and partly because I was freezing, I began to wear it.  

Me in Chicago in the Hat
This Christmas season, one evening when we were in Chicago, we walked with Dave's family from their home to a French restaurant about six blocks away.  It was freezing but I had the hat so it was exciting and fun.  

At the end of the meal the waiter brought me the last of my several birthday desserts.  This culminated a solid week of celebrating my special birthday.   It was a magical night. 

Me, the hat and the dessert
at the French Restaurant in
Chicago
Later, as I was lying in bed I thought about how truly blessed I am with family and friends.  I thought about the friend who lent me the hat every year and the depth of friendship we've developed over the last two decades.

We had this in common early on:  She was married to a college president.  I was married to a Methodist minister.  We both knew what it was like to live, and raise our families, in a fish bowl.   

When I got home the other day and called her she said something sad.  She told me to keep the hat!  She's suffering of some serious health problems and doesn't think she'll need it.

I'm not going to keep the fur hat.  I want her to get better and wear it in the snow.  But I do want to borrow it again next year.  I've grown into it. 


***