Thursday, January 16, 2014

Scarred by Struggle

I'm currently reading three books.  As you know, I like to do some deep, thoughtful reading at least a couple of hours every morning.  It's my favorite time of day.

Here is what I'm currently reading:

Incarnadine by Mary Szybist

This is a poetry book, winner of the National Book Award,  "kind of" about the Annunciation of an unsettling angel to a young woman named Mary.  Do I always understand what Mary Szbist is saying?  No!  But I read a poem every morning and think about it.   Here are a couple of quotes from a poem called "Update on Mary."

Mary always thinks that as soon as she get a few more things done and finished the dishes, she will open herself to God. 

It is only when she has a simple, repetitive task that her life feels orderly...

Mary tells herself that if only she could have a child she could carry around like an extra lung, the emptiness inside  her would stop gnawing. 

Once We Were Brothers by Ronald Balson

This is a novel about the atrocities of wartime Poland and two boys, once as close as brothers, who find themselves on opposite sides of the holocaust.

I'm almost finished with this one and it's so compelling that I can hardly put it down.  It was assigned for my book club and I will lead the discussion in February.  Should be a great discussion with my smart book club ladies.

Scarred by Struggle, Transformed by Hope by Joan Chittister

Chittister is one of my favorite writers.  This is one of her older books, published in 2003.  It's hard reading but, as a person who's struggled mightily over the years, it's very meaningful to me.  Here are a couple of quotes.

....all struggle is not destructive.  I have come to understand from them that it is not struggle that defeats us it is our failure to struggle that depletes the human spirit. 

All struggle is not loss.  All those who struggle do not give way to depression, to death of the spirit, to dearth of heart.  We not only can survive struggle, but, it seems, we are meant to survive in new ways, with new insights, with new heart. 



***