Monday, January 20, 2014

Light

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Today is Martin Luther King's birthday.  We used to either attend or march in a parade every MLK, Jr. birthday.  But now, not so much.

Dr. King was one of the great folks in history who brought light into the world.  He left us with so many words of wisdom that he continues to teach us about light and what it can do.

I'm fortunate to regularly be around folks who exude light.  Dave comes to mind.  But there are lots of others and I'm grateful.

Yesterday my minister, Dr. Bob, talked about light.  He mentioned Hank Williams' tombstone that is, first of all, ginormous, but also carries the title of one of his most famous and, to me and others, most meaningful songs.  We know that Hank Williams had a sad life with lots of challenges.  That makes his words all the more meaningful to me.

I Saw the Light.

Dr. Bob talked about first seeing the light, then following the light, then being the light.  I believe Dr. King did this.  I hope I'm in the process of doing this.

Wouldn't it be the coolest thing ever to "be" light?  Don't know that I'm there yet.  But I can say, along with Hank,

I saw the light, I saw the light, 
No more darkness, no more night,
Now I'm so happy, no sorrow in sight,
Praise the Lord, I saw the light. 


***