Thursday, January 23, 2014

Philomena

Dave and I went through a long dry spell of not going to the movies due to nothing we wanted to see.  Then four movies appeared that caught our attention.  "Llewyn Davis" was interesting but not what we expected.  "American Hustle," in my opinion was so terrible that I had to come home and take a hot bath to calm down.  But it will probably win the Academy Award.   The one we haven't yet seen is "Nebraska" with the great Bruce Dern but it may get away from us before we can get to the theater.

The one gem of a movie out of the four - for me - is "Philomena."   It's an English film starring the great Judi Dench.  In the "Marigold Hotel" movie she was kind of glamorous and sexy.  In Philomena she is old.  All of her wrinkles are showing.  Her arms look like the arms of a very old lady.  But, in a way, she's much more beautiful in "Philomena."

It's the true story of a woman who's son was snatched from her by some particularly mean nuns.  She spends the next 50 years looking for him.

We experience the last few months of the search.  It's an odd-couple road movie.  It's funny, smart and extremely entertaining with a satisfying ending.

People who like the phrase "I love Jesus but I hate the church" will like this movie.  Philomena gives us the very best reason for forgiving others.

I forgive you because I don't want to remain angry. 


***