Thursday, March 22, 2012

Wear Your Hoodie

As you know, the shooting of Trayvon Martin by George Zimmerman in Sanford, Florida (a couple of towns up from mine) has gone viral.

A rally is scheduled for tonight that will probably attract thousands.  I hope that good will come from all of this tragedy, including a closer look at the "Stand Your Ground" law which, since it was passed a few years ago, has caused several tragedies.

One of the things that disturbed me, before this case went international, were the suggestions by locals regarding what Trayvon Martin could have done to prevent being shot.

We already know about the dangers of "Driving While Black" and "Walking While Black" but now we're hearing that "some people" look menacing when wearing a hoodie.

I wear hoodies.  I don't think there's a chance in the world that I look, or ever looked,  menacing in one (although I it would have been useful a couple of times when I was younger.)

I'm wearing one right now.  It's white linen.

A friend wrote me this morning asking if I wanted to go to the rally with her.  I declined but I did suggest she wear her hoodie.  Don't worry, she's not menacing either.


***