Tuesday, March 6, 2012

For Males Only





My husband, Ken, went to this small, prestigious college in Indiana.  Wabash College, founded in 1853 and located in Crawfordsville, Indiana has around 900 students.

It's one of the finest liberal arts colleges in the nation. It's also one of the last all male colleges in the nation. No girls allowed.

They do have female faculty but I remember when the first woman professor was hired in the 70s.  You would have thought the end of the world was near, there was so much gloom and doom conversation.

It it wasn't for Wabash's need to  pursue excellence at all costs, they'd never have hired these exceptional girl profs.

For 40 years every mailing ever sent  from Wabash to our house was addressed to Ken.  Period.  Until the day he died. Then the mailings immediately started coming to me. Prior to that time I affectionately called Wabash "The Woman Haters Club." But when I saw my name on the envelope I melted and thought "They like me, they really like me."

About a month ago Dave and I went to a Wabash alumni get together here in our area.  Dave's such a good sport about these things.  The photo above was taken that evening. We had a lovely time.

But, as a result, I've lost my status.  The Wabash mailing that came a couple of days ago was addressed to Dave.  They don't seem to even care that he's a Kansas University alumni.

Testosterone has won out again.


***