Friday, March 16, 2012

Good News From the Airport

I have something new to look forward to.  At my local airport, that's Orlando International Airport (OIA,) elderly folks (I do so love that word) that is to say, folks over age 75, will no longer have to take off their shoes or jackets while going through security.  By the way, I have a few years before I'll be eligible for this perk.

It seems the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) is starting a test program at OIA and three other U.S. airports to allow the elderly easier passage through security.

I don't know whether to be grateful or insulted.  Don't we look as scary as younger folks?  The other issue, for me is, how important is it anyway?  We all want to be safe and the vast majority of the flying public has been pretty darn patient - but what have the results been for our massive shift in passenger security?

Newsweek Magazine has just put out some stats regarding TSA.  Since 2001 they've spent 57 billion dollars.   Their staff has grown by 400%.

Here are some good news/bad news results from the the last 10 years of pat downs and purse searches.  TSA has confiscated 1,200 guns. That's good.  But the number of terrorists apprehended by the TSA??

That would be none.


***