Thursday, March 8, 2012

My Hands Won't Open

What do Ronald Reagan, Margaret Thatcher, Frank Sinatra, Bob Dole, Jesus and I have in common?

We all have a condition called Duputren's Conracture.  This is when the hand contracts with fingers pulling in toward the palm.  It's more common than you think.  The cause isn't known but it is hereditary and affects mostly men.  My dad had it, my brother has it and my son has it.

Some folks like to say that Jesus had it because, many times, he's depicted with his hands in the D.C. position.  But we don't know for sure because no actual photos were taken when he was here.


Some folks think Frank Sinatra had it because a woman tried to sue his estate several years ago alleging she was his love child because they shared the same hand condition.  (I shared in a postings a few years ago that, if that's the proof, then maybe I'm his love child as well..)

I had surgery a decade ago.  It was messy and my hand looked like a Honey Baked ham, both in size and color for about six weeks.  So no more surgery for me.

But this week I went to our locally famous hand doctor, George White, to get some options because I now have D.C.it in both hands.  Actually I couldn't get in to see Dr. White but instead saw his young protegee who's also highly skilled in the hand business and, by the way, cute as the dickens.

He wants me to try a  new procedure that will be ready in a couple of months.  I'll keep you posted.


***