Thursday, March 15, 2012

Was It Pie Day or Was It Pi Day?

Yesterday afternoon my daughter and grandson called to say they'd baked a dozen pies because it was "Pie Day."  They baked strawberry, double chocolate, chess and butterscotch.  They took pies to his math class and delivered pies to other lucky folks.
I didn't think much about it.  They're always doing something fun and sharing it.  But after we hung up I thought; was I missing something?

OK, I learned later what I'm sure you already know.  Yesterday, March 14th, was Pi Day.  It's the day when mathematicians and folks who regularly watch "The Big Bang Theory"  celebrate Pi (one of the world's most mysterious and awe inspiring infinite mathematical constraints.)    

It's specifically celebrated on 3/14 at 1:59:26 p.m.  That date and time correspond to the first eight digits of Pi (3.1415926)

Since these folks celebrate all things circular, serious Pi followers celebrate with Pie eating.   So next year I want to get in on this.  I will become an honorary one-day-only pie eating math geek.  

By the way, I love geeks but I wouldn't describe my grandson as one.  He's smart but plays several sports and loves music.  He's more of a renaissance man. 

***