Sunday, February 20, 2011

Unknown

I've had a bit of a stressful week, to say the least.  But I don't want to talk about that.  I want to talk about the movie, Unknown.

It is Unknown to me why this movie was number one at the box office this weekend.  We saw it yesterday.  We just wanted a little diversion.  It didn't work. 

As you know, my first priority in movies is to not be bored.  I was bored!  But the reason is not Unknown to me.

It is Unknown why Liam Neeson keeps making these action films.  He's 58 years old (and looks every bit of it in this movie.)  Those of you who read this blog regularly know that in two short years Liam Neeson will be elderly.  I think he is a fine actor and so good as a sad, suffering, introspective character.

Unknown has no humor.  Well, in one scene when he's in the bedroom with the cab driver, who, by the way, is the only interesting person in the movie, Liem and the cabby have a sweet, funny time for about 10 seconds until the shooting starts.

It's a complicated plot with a great reveal.  You'd think that would keep a person on the edge of his/her seat but NO.  By the time it comes, we don't care.  We just want it to be over.

January Jones is her usual beautiful, snarky self.

Unknown is not a total lose., between the car chases, shootings, fights and things blowing up, there are some great scenes of a lovely, snowy Berlin. 


***