Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Bloom In Love



I love this latest New Yorker cover.  It reminds us that Valentine's Day day is coming.  It reminds us of Love in Bloom.

But, mostly it suggests that New York mayor, Michael Bloomberg has a big ego. Maybe a little narcissistic.

I don't have any knowledge of that, I think he's been a good, hard working mayor. And this is to be commended since he's the 10th richest person in the country.

But yesterday Dave and I looked at this cover and then talked at length about what it means to have a big ego. 

Not Freud's complicated Id, Ego, and Super Ego - but just the general concept of what a big ego looks like to us simple folks.

I think it's the opposite of self esteem.  I think folks who really feel good about themselves, process it from the inside.  They have a sense of compassion and personal vision.  They have respect for all living things, a sense that we're all divine as well as human. 

I think egotists are basically insecure and need constant feedback from the outside. 

Don't have any idea about where Mayor Bloomberg is in all this - but I love the New Yorker cover because it makes me think.  And I'm hoping this cover made the mayor laugh.


***