Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Pride

Dear Abby's column last week ran a letter from a 16 year old girl who attends a private school.  Her problem is that her parents are planning to give her a 2001 car and she can't stand the humiliation of driving this old car to school. 

OK, let's give her a break because she's 16.

My minister finished up an excellent series of sermons this last Sunday.  He dealt with subjects like worry, guilt and loneliness. Sunday he spoke about pride.

Every one of these sermons has spoken to me personally.  Of course, not all pride is bad.  But our need to compare ourselves with others is sometimes crippling.  It's certainly a large part of our big economic meltdown.

Dave and I both feel called to live a simple life - and not use more resources than we need.

I drive a 2000 Toyota Camry.  I like my car but it's older and smaller than anybodys' I know.  When I occasionally need to valet park, none of the guys seem eager and excited to drive my car.

I have an old kitchen.  However, all of the appliances work and, besides that, I don't cook.  But there is pressure to get a new kitchen. When I'm honest with myself, the only motivation to remodel is pride.


***