Saturday, October 2, 2010

Some Changed My Life, Some Didn't

Remember when the only way we saw news was to go to the movies and watch a three week old newsreel?

The last AARP Newsletter listed the live TV moments that changed our lives.

1963 - John Kennedy was assassinated. I was glued to the TV for days along with everybody else in the world who had a TV. I was stunned when Jack Ruby shot Lee Harvey Oswald, my first time to see a person killed in real time - but, unfortunately, not my last.

1964 - The Beatles were on The Ed Sullivan Show. I saw it but (and please don't hate me) I never "got" the Beatles.

1968 - Democratic Convention Riots. I was glued to the TV. What a bloody mess!

1969 - Super Bowl III. Didn't see it or any other Super Bowl game for that matter.

1969 - Apollo 11 Moon Landing. It was in the middle of the night but I did stay up to see it.

1981 - Charles and Diane Wedding. Didn't watch it and can't quite comprehend how it could change anybody's life, other than theirs.

1981 - MTV Debut. This is important because it killed the importance of music fm radio. I've never seen MTV and I still listen to the radio.

1991 - Persian Gulf War Invasion. I was glued to the TV. This was the time I developed a girl crush on Christiane Amanpour, watching her report the news every night with the bombs dropping all around her. By the way, I still have the crush and if I hadn't lived my own meaningful life I would like to have lived one like hers.

2001 - Terrorist Attacks. Seen round the world in real time. And it has changed our lives in profound ways. Those of us who are old enough will remember forever exactly where we were and what we were doing on this day and the day JFK was shot.


***