Thursday, October 7, 2010

Nothing Lasts a Lifetime

In the late 60s, when we were getting ready to go off to seminary, a dentist friend and neighbor told me to come see him in his office. He wanted to do something for me.

I thought maybe he wanted to give me a free toothbrush.

But what he did was to fill almost all of my teeth with those those old fashioned silver fillings. He didn't even ask me first. He just got into my mouth and did it. He said I'd thank him over the years because I would never have a cavity or other teeth problems.

And he was pretty much right - up until about four years ago.

Now the fillings are failing and each new cap is very, very, expensive. My dentist told me last week that another one is about to bite the dust.

It's sort of like buying all new appliances at the same time. They last for years and years but then when they start to go - they all go at the same time. Bummer.

At least I got a new toothbrush at my last appointment.


***