Saturday, October 9, 2010

I'm Not a Good Facebook Friend

I get on Facebook about once a month to see what my family's up to. Most folks around the world get on Facebook several times a day.

Facebook is all over the planet and is currently worth between 35 and 40 BILLION dollars.

It was started at Harvard in 2003 by a 19 year old kid named Mark Zukerberg. Dave and I saw the movie "Social Network" last night. It was exciting and fast moving. It's the kind of movie to make us older folks (like over 35) shake our heads in disbelief.

Apparently Mark Zukerberg didn't care about money. What I got from the movie is that he invented Facebook for revenge.

You've probably read that the current 26 year old Mark Zukerberg recently gave the city of Newark's school system 100 million dollars, apparently to help his image before this unflattering movie came out.

The kid obviously was and is beyond brilliant. But - even though Facebook does lots of good by getting people and groups all over the world communicating - I wonder how much more good he could do if he put his considerately useful brain to working on serious world wide problems.

(I'll bet he could get this bedbug problem in luxery hotels figured out lickity split )

But the movie is good.

Justin Timberlake is great as that Napster guy.


***