Sunday, October 24, 2010

The Ferris Wheel Revisited

As you may remember, Dave and I had our first date in Chicago in 2005. One of the highlights was a romantic ride on the Ferris wheel at the Navy Pier.

Since then, every year at this time, we walk to the annual fair on the campus of St. Mary Magdalene Catholic Church and School to ride the Ferris wheel and eat something silly.

It's not as big as the one in Chicago but we can still relive the romance.

So this past Friday night we walked to the fair. We saw friends, watched people stand in line waiting for food while eating plates of food, and then ambled over to stand in line for the Ferris wheel.

A little boy, about six years old, stood in front of us. His grandfather was letting him ride by himself. When we were almost to the ride the little boy pulled on my shirt and asked us to ride in the same car with him. Of course we said OK.

"But no swinging the car!", says I.

We boarded. I sat next to Dave. The little boy looked at me and said, "Please sit by me."

Good thing I did because it was a wild ride indeed. The kid talked non stop. He jumped around. He tried to grab the posts as we whizzed by. I grabbed the tail of his shirt several times when he tried to stand on the seat.

When we stopped on top he kind of panicked and said he wanted out. We talked him back down into his seat.

I certainly wouldn't want to label this little boy but he seemed to have a big attention deficit and was extremely active. What was his grandfather thinking sending him on a Ferris wheel alone?

So it wasn't so romantic this time but it was interesting.

***