Saturday, October 30, 2010

Hereafter

What does Clint Eastwood know about the hereafter that I don't?

Nothing.

But I wanted to see this movie so Dave and I went last night. With some major reservations, I liked it. He didn't.

Here's the problem. It's badly in need of editing. I could have edited out 40 minutes myself without losing any of the plot. For instance, when Matt Damon's taking the cooking class we spend lots of time watching him chop tomatoes and I don't even like the way he's chopping. If there was a point to it I missed it. Later, while waiting in line to get his book signed we have to see another person get hers signed first, then another, then another and so on. What's the point of that?

For those who love special effects the promos have shown the Tsunami that takes place in the first 10 minutes. While it's a horrifyingly accurate portrayal of a real tragedy, it's the only spectacular, wild special effect in the movie. So some folks are feeling cheated.

It's a quiet movie. It's a sad movie. The three plot lines that come together in the end feature attractive people who are suffering - especially the little boy.

But the movie lifts up ultimate concerns. It makes us think - not only about the hereafter but the present.

The annual poll that tells us the reality for 18 year olds said recently that they know Clint Eastwood only as a great, old, sensitive movie director.

And that's what he is.

***