Saturday, May 22, 2010

Waking Up Is Hard to Do

Neil Sedaka was on NPR this morning. We all know that his song "Breaking Up Is Hard to Do" was a huge hit a long time ago but Neil Sedaka has been a successful songwriter for over 50 years.



The interviewer was teasing him about the song title because Neil's been married to the same woman for over 50 years as well.



All of this reminded me of an article I read last week in the Star/Tribune (by the way, still a fine paper even though it's shrunk like the rest of them.)



In 1991 this local group of five male nurse anesthesiologists formed a singing group. You've probably never heard of them but they've sold 20,000 plus CDs and have had 5 million views on YouTube.



The reason they remind me of Neil Sedaka is because they sing parades.



"WAKING UP IS HARD TO DO."
Don't take my tube away from me.
I'm trying to breathe, oh, can't you see?
Take it out, and I'll turn blue,
'Cuz waking up is hard to do.



"THE LITTLE OLD LADY WITH HER FRACTURED FEMUR"

"SCOPIN' USA"

"WE'VE ONLY JUST ONE LUNG...to breathe."

(For after hemorrhoid surgery)
"RING OF FIRE"
I woke up with a burning ring of fire,


This group has the improbable name "the Laryngospasms." Named for a rare vocal-cord closure during the late stages of anesthesia.

If you have any interest in checking them out look up: Videos of the Laryngospasms.

Watch the "Waking Up"...video first.


***