Tuesday, May 4, 2010

My Life in 3-D

For a long time I lived my life in 3-D - meaning that at regular intervals something big and scary jumped out at me.

I didn't much like it.

And now we know that the next big thing at the movies is all 3-D all the time. Nearly every big budget holiday movie next year will be in 3-D. This might be good for future Disney films or "Spring Break Zombie Cruise" but I think 3-D is a distraction in most movies.

And when a screenwriter like Patrick Melton who's written all three of the slasher "Saw" franchise expresses misgivings, it's serious.

The paper quotes him as saying: Watching someone get punched repeatedly in the eye is going to be nauseating in 3-D.

Well, yeah!

It seems to me that it will be a sad day when movies are made primarily to surprise and scare us rather than drawing us in with good storytelling.

I like thrillers but the best one I've seen in months is "Ghost Writer." A good story and visually beautiful. 3-D would have ruined it.


***