Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Different Planets




This little poster was in the latest AARP magazine. It's so true. In fact, I used to tell people that it seemed that my kids were from different planets. It's challenging to raise very different children and try to help them be all that they can be.




And now I think some of them feel the same way about their own children.




It's hard for grown kids to have to work together, when, for instance, their parents need them - when they're from different planets.




Years ago I went to California to visit my older sister whom I'd not seen in a very long time.




We had a good visit but I was astounded to realize how different we are. I'm kind of a minimalist. She had stuff everywhere. She and her husband loved Disney Land. Consequently, Minny. Mickey and the gang were sitting in every seat in the living room.




I have one watch. She emptied a drawer and over 50 watches of all sizes spilled out on the bed.


We had different ideas about politics, religion and raising kids.


It's like we were from different planets.


***