Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Who Can I Blame?

A couple I love, relatives actually, are having marriage problems.

All day yesterday I was trying to think of who (whom) to blame.

At first I thought it was those darn gays. Although this couple lives in a conservative state, they didn't pass a "no gays can get married law" like we did here in Florida (because we all know that it's those gays that are causing our marriages to flop.)

But I don't think blaming gays will help in this situation.

Then I thought of what another friend who's husband had left after years of a bad marriage said to me when I tried to get her to go to counseling.

Why should I go to counseling? The Devil breaks up marriages!

But I don't think blaming the Devil will help this situation.

I don't know what the answer is. But I do know that this smart, funny, talented couple has blessed countless other people throughout their long marriage. We'll all be poorer if they don't make it.

But what's even more important is they're both suffering and they both have personal issues to deal with. (Don't we all?) I think she's up to it. I don't know about him.

But we do know that this life - that God gives us - is all about new beginnings.


***