Sunday, November 2, 2008

Betrayed by Babar

When I was young I loved the Babar (the elephant) books. He, along with his beautiful, cultured (elephant) wife, Celeste, lived such a sophisticated, structured, orderly life in Celesteville. They had animal teas where they sat in the sun in their fine clothes with their parasols protecting them. I'm sure the books soothed me when my life was in chaos.

Some of my children loved these books as well and I'm quite sure they've shared them with their children.

Now I find that Babar and Celeste were Nazis. Or, at the very least, Fascists.

It seems that Celesteville was the capital of a well-ordered corporate Fascist state. Remember the splendid parade of citizens marching according to their estate or profession - soldiers, musicians, carpenters, fishermen, etc? I guess this is proof.

Remember when Babar's little monkey friend, Zephir, visited his homeland, which is not a kingdom but a military dictatorship under a generalissimo?

No, I don't remember this either but apparently it's further proof.

I've just got to stop reading so many New Yorker articles.


***