Sunday, November 23, 2008

And a Sense of Humor Helps

This morning in my Sunday school class we discussed hope and faith and how important it is for people our age to share these concepts with younger people in these hard times.

Somebody mentioned how important it is, as well, to keep your sense of humor in times of great stress and hardship. That reminded me of a visit my husband and I had just a few weeks before he died. I shared the following with the class.

Our son called one afternoon to say that his boss had just flown in from Atlanta expressly to pay his respects to my husband - knowing that he was near death. They were on the way in from the airport.

Well, see, the problem was that we'd just gone out to lunch and my husband was sitting on the couch in his favorite pink dress shirt, looking pretty darn spiffy.

So I explained to my husband that our son's boss would probably be disappointed that he came all that way to find him sitting in the living room with his doggy bag from the restaurant.

So, I got him into the wheelchair, took him to his room and got him into his hospital bed. No time to get the great looking shirt off so I just tucked the sheet up around his chin.

Our son and his boss showed up. (He's actually a very nice guy.) He paid his respects and left.

Afterwards I told my husband what a great sport he'd been. He wasn't able to speak much by that time but he let me know that it was fun for him.

The next time my son's boss flew in was for the memorial service.


***