Thursday, November 13, 2008

Hot, Flat and Crowded

Thomas Friedman, the three times Pulitzer Prize winner, has written a new book. I know some of you find him a little hard to read. I know this because you've told me. I understand. He uses big words. So I'm here to help. The title says it all:

HOT, FLAT AND CROWDED

Still confused? I'll explain further.

1. HOT. Global warming is real. Our world wide need for energy is real. Saving the planet isn't just a slogan. It's a dire necessity. The good news is that we are fantastic problem solvers. We can fix this.

2. FLAT. While the world wide fast growth of the middle class is gobbling up resources, it's also instantly connected. Little tiny companies and individuals can get their ideas out - instantly. We can fix this.

3. CROWDED. There are way, way too many people in the world - and most of them are suffering mightily because of it. How can we fix this? (OK, don't get me started. You know how I feel about birth control!)

My plan would be for no female in the world to become pregnant - unless she WANTS TO! (This would also take care of another pesky social problem we have in this country.)

Now, what about our current crisis?

Following is a quote from Friedman's book:

Not only is America's leadership the key to the healing of the earth; it is also the best strategy for the renewal of America.



***