Sunday, December 31, 2023

Scarcity Mindset

 

 A scarcity mindset is characterized by a belief that one has limited resources or is unable to provide for themselves and others. 

From birth, and then the next several decades, I had a scarcity mindset.  I know why, and I've worked hard to overcome it.  Everyone knows I struggle with buying gifts for rich people. I have absolutely no idea what to buy.  However I'm perfectly comfortable buying things for people in need and giving to my favorite charities. 

Many years ago I had a friend who was a bishop in the United Methodist Church.  He called me one day asking for my help.  A former Methodist minister had been released from prison after serving several years.  The bishop had found the minister a mobile home and was asking my help in stocking the minister's new place.  I was all over that.  I knew exactly what was needed.  We got a list together in a hurry. 

I love Jimmy Carter.  Was he our greatest president?  No.  Is he an outstanding human being? Yes. 

His wife, Rosalynn, died recently and some of the stories told at her eulogy reminded me of myself.  Here are a couple.  Her grandson told about how Rosalynn gave each of her grandchildren a card with $20 in it.  He was 45 years old and still receiving the card and money.  I love that story.  Sounds familiar. 

But the next story was my favorite.  They were on a plane, Rosalynn Carter and family members.  After a while, she opened her big bag a pulled out a jar of pimento cheese, a knife and a loaf of bread.  She proceeded to make sandwiches for her family members and then made them for several other passengers. 

That so sounds like something I would have done years ago.  And maybe I did, but just don't remember. 

This morning I tidied up my bathroom closet.  The last thing I did was count the rolls of toilet paper on the closet shelf.  There were 17 rolls.  That is a huge symptom of a scarcity mindset.  So guess I still have work to do. 

***