Monday, December 25, 2023

I Love Pop-UP Books


 

Since the day they were invented, I have loved pop-up books.  I have a copy of  the first pop-up add in a magazine.  The explanation of how it was formed was quite complicated.  It's artistry.   

Many years ago I became the owner of the state-of-the art book "Christmas in New York."  I thought I bought it from the Metropolitan Museum of Art but, in researching for this blog posting, that doesn't seem to be the case. It's magical and complicated on every single page.

The Christmas after receiving the book, I ordered four of them for friends and family.  They were pricey.  To my knowledge, no one loved the book like I did, other than my dear friend, Harry Welch.  But he, also, was magical and complicated.

Fast forward many years.  A week or so ago, at a small family gathering, my grandson, Ken gave me an amazing gift.  It is a companion piece to "Christmas in New York."  Both are written by Chuck Fischer, with paper engineering by Bruce Foster.  "Christmas Around the World" features New York, Boston and London.

If you visit me, you can look at my Christmas Pop-Up books.  They are always out.  
 

                    

 






***