Sunday, September 29, 2019

Inside Job


Lately I've been surrounded by personality testing opportunities.  Forum just finished up two sessions on Enneaogram testing.  I took the test but wasn't sure about my results because I was ambivalent about many of my answers.  I came out a (weak) number one.  It's titled perfectionist.  I never considered myself a perfectionist.  But some of the other stuff made sense.

Also, as I discussed in my last blog posting,  I bought the book "Living Your Strengths" took the test, and was not one bit surprised at the outcome.  Strategic Thinking trumped everything else.

So what's the problem?  I've been suffering anxiety attacks that bring on physical illness - almost daily - for four months straight.

Since I'm a strategic thinker I've worked hard to problem solve.

Then, in the past ten days, two things have happened. First, I received one of the first copies of my daughter, Sarah's new book.  Sarah has been working on this book a long time but she never shared the content with me.  For me, it's a fantastic devotional, and one of the most positive books I've ever read.  But it will be powerful for folks in all walks of life, no matter where you are spirituality. Right there on the cover it says "Throw off the facade of perfection."

Last week I started seeing a highly recommended therapist.  She's not all that interested in the stress filled life I've led in the past four months, and by the way, my whole life.  She essentially said that the problem's not coming from the outside - it's coming from the inside.  She wants me to be vulnerable, not something I'm comfortable with.

I took this as good and bad news.  But then, in reading Sarah's book, I found several vignettes about me.  Some of them not easy to read - but all of them true.  And it's not like I haven't been aware of this truth for a very long time.  I wrote the poem below in the 1970s, when Sarah was a baby.  And (this is an aside) the title is a forerunner to Sarah's job as a prosecuting attorney in Dekalb County Georgia.  (She helped stop crime big time.)

HELP STOP CRIME

I accused you of a felony,
I thought you broke my heart,
And ruined my life,
But, 
After thoroughly investigating
   the crime,
I will concede,
It could have been an inside job.

Cecily Crossman 


***