Saturday, October 12, 2019

Goodbye Ferris Wheels


Navy Pier in Chicago
Many years ago the Catholic church down the street started a fall Community Fest.  The church has a big campus and it gets outfitted with all kinds of carnival rides and everything else you could image in a mini state fair.  Driving down the street at night and seeing all the neon/twinkle lights is exciting, especially the big Ferris Wheel.   But I never went because my husband, Ken, wasn't well.  Instead of feeling excitement as we drove by, many times, I felt sad and lonely.

London Eye
When I met David a few years later we saw the lights one evening and when I told him my sad story he said, "well we're going".  And we did.  Every single year we walked over, ate crazy food for dinner and rode the Ferris Wheel.

Not only that but we rode some of the best Ferris Wheels in the world - like the one at the Navy Pier in Chicago.  The Navy Pier is one of the most popular attractions in Chicago with its 50 acres of parks, gardens, restaurants, and a giant Ferris Wheel that never stops - so you have to get on fast.

Orlando Eye
And we rode the London Eye, which was the tallest Ferris Wheel  until our hometown, Orlando, built our own Eye, featuring enclosed, air conditioned cars that hold about 18 people.  We rode that too.

The Catholic church Community Fest is next weekend.  I won't be going.  David is gone and I have no business riding, or desire to ride, another Ferris Wheel.   But I'm not at all sad about it.  I feel blessed.

Goodbye Ferris Wheels. We had a great ride.


***