Friday, September 20, 2019

Who Am I Now?

There's no crying in baseball.  Tom Hanks, "A League of Their Own."

The phrase above essentially means "Toughen up" or "Be strong." And in this context it used to mean that baseball was a man's game and men don't cry.  Hence, there's no crying in baseball.

The prevailing stereotype throughout human history is that women are predominately right brain (emotional.)  and men left brain (logical.)

Every personality test I've ever taken has shown me to be a heavily Left Brain person, meaning the logical far overrides the emotional.  I have a friend who now lives in Colorado who has somewhat the same make up.  Years ago, she told me that when her husband was near death she instantly became tough and lazer fixed on getting the proper things done.

That's what we "left brainers" do.  I was the same when both of my husbands were dying.  A few weeks ago, when my David suddenly passed away,  I was lazer focused on doing the proper things in the proper order - first calling his kids then making absolutely sure his body was prepared for donation to the UCF Medical School, per his wishes.  But prior to that, in the few months that he was recovering from an accident (before he died!) my health began falling apart.

Self knowledge has served me well over the years and I know has enabled me to be strong and helpful to others through my work and personal relationships.  And my logical thinking and self knowledge has helped me personally as well.  I have enjoyed presenting myself as A Strong Woman.

But now I'm 80!  And have a miserable, chronic illness, to which I believe my left brain dominance has contributed.  For me, the main trigger for my Meniere's episodes is anxiety.  It's like my body is saying to my brain, "Hey, Cess's brain.  You may think you're still in charge but let me show you what I'm up to."  Have I mentioned that I have always been pretty good at keeping confidences?  So naturally I still find myself knew-deep in other people's stuff.

For the past several weeks my church has been emphasizing the concept of "Living Your Strengths."  As part of that we've been urged to take a Gallop test to determine what our strengths are.  It cost 20 bucks to take the test so you have to be motivated.

I'm motivated!  I bought the book and took the test, hoping it would give me some different data at this late date.   But no...Following are my top five "strengths."

1.  Connectedness -RELATIONSHIP BUILDING.  In your soul you know that we are all connected. Yes, we are individuals, responsible for our own judgments and in possession of our own free will, but nonetheless we are part of something larger.  You are a bridge builder for people of different cultures.  Your faith is strong.  Yes, this is me and I continue to like this.

But, in light of my current predicament and, oh yeah, the fact that I'm 80, perhaps the other four strengths need to be a little more self focused.

2.  Learner -STRATEGIC THINKING.  The process of learning rather than the outcome, excites them. 

3.  Input-STRATEGIC THINKING.  They collect information and ideas.

4.  Intellection - STRATEGIC THINKING.  They need intellectual activity. You are introspective and you appreciate intellectual discussions.

5.  Analytical - STRATEGIC THINKING.  You like data because they are value free and help you search for values and causes. 

So, no new news here!  But maybe being reminded of this left brain dominance will help me, along with a professional counselor (who won't try to hug me and say, there, there, don't worry your little head about that,) deal with my anxiety and my current propensity to watch the room spin around while I'm throwing up.

By the way,  I highly recommend this book that comes at this prospective through a theological lens, if that's your thing, as it is mine.

Living Your Strengths - From Gallup by Albert Winseman, Don Clifton and Curt Liesveld.


***