Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Michael's Wings

In the 1996 film, "Michael," John Travolta plays a loveable but deeply flawed angel complete with big bulky wings that he keeps covered with a raincoat.  The angel Micheal seemingly has some very human traits such as eating too many chocolate chip cookies and being irresistible to women (and he to them.)  He does one of his sexiest dances ever - wearing the overcoat.  He seems to operate totally from a sense of passion.

But every time Michael saves a life it takes a lot out of him and he becomes weaker.  Eventually he starts losing feathers from the wings giving us a sense of foreboding.  It's a symbol that Michael is dying.

By the way, this is a fantastic movie.  Totally entertaining.

So what does this have to do with the photo of the orchid arrangement that I just posted a couple of weeks ago telling you how much I love it?

The petals have started to fall.  Seeing them on the flower has made me unusually sad and vaguely aware of some sad memory.  Then it came to me that it's from the images of the Michael movie. I am having somewhat the sense of foreboding that I had when Michael's wings started dropping.


***