Thursday, September 15, 2016

Powerlessness

I'd like to get back to doing this.
Jesus said to Peter, "Very truly, I tell you, when you were younger, you used to fasten your own belt and go wherever you wished.  but when you grow old, you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will fasten a belt around you and take you where you do not wish to go."  John 21:17-18

The above is one strange scripture.  I never fully understood it.  I always thought it was about powerlessness but the belt thing escaped me.

And then, a couple of weeks ago something interesting happened.  As you know, I've been having some problems with vertigo.  So my ear doc sent me to Vestibular Rehabilitation Therapy  (VRT).  Is it working?  Thus far, no idea.

But my rehab therapist, Tim, has me doing all kinds of hard stuff, like trying to walk heel to toe with my eyes closed and other crazy exercises that trip me up from time to time.  But I can't hurt myself because Tim ties a belt around my waist and hangs on to it!  And he occasionally tries to take me where I do not want to go.

I recently read this explanation of the above scripture:

When Peter grows old and can no longer care for himself, when others dress him and lead him around, taking him to places against his will, Peter will continue to glorify God - perhaps because of his situation of powerlessness.


***