Monday, September 19, 2016

Brainy

Albert
All four of my children are exceptionally smart.  I know everybody thinks this about their kids but mine are middle-aged and I'm pretty objective. They're smart. Where did this come from?  Their father was brilliant in his own way so I'm sure much of the braininess was inherited from him.

I, on the other hand, am not part of this DNA stew.  This has it's pluses and minuses.  I'm a simpler person.  I'm straight up OCD.  (Self diagnosed.)

My symptoms are an obsession with numbers, routine, orderliness - and the list goes on.  As part of my routine I usually read a (deep) devotional every day and also a chapter of a tough book.  For the latter I am currently re-reading a book called "The Intellectual Devotional - 365 Daily Lessons From the Seven Fields of Knowledge."

Yesterday I was feeling particularly stressed so I sat down and read the lesson on Black Holes.  I had forgotten that the last point of the hole is called a "singularity."  Hum!  Scientists know a lot about black holes - but guess what?  It's all theoretical.  They can't actually be seen.

Contemplating black holes calmed me down. And, while this book is not particularly spiritual, there was food for spiritual thought on this page.

Albert Einstein, rejecting the principles of quantum mechanics, once said, "God does not play dice with the Universe."  Stephen Hawking, referring to black holes, once said, "God not only plays dice, He sometimes throws them where they cannot be seen."

So this, once again made me contemplate the nature of God - which took my mind off the election.


***