Monday, August 1, 2016

Where Am I On The Family Tree?

One afternoon about ten years ago, Dave called his mother-in-law in Canada, to tell her that he and I were getting married.  How would she receive this news?  She had lost her husband and both of her children and now faced the prospect of losing this son-in-law whom she loved.

She was in her nineties and a wee bit confused at times.  This was her response.  "Will all of the children live with you?"  She had a right to be concerned because that would mean 25 to 30 (it ebbs and flows) people would be living in Dave's three bedroom house.

We've just spent most of the last two weeks with family. First with my big family and this weekend with Dave's family in Chicago. It's been so good.  Almost all of these people are successful and beautiful inside and out.  But trouble is always close.  Somebody's always falling off a limb of the (family) tree.

But, as we've become matriarch and patriarch of our big beautiful families I'm concerned with how I with navigate the next decade in that roll.  I love the book that's been discussed in Forum the last couple of weeks.  How Then Shall We Live? ask's me four questions.

Who Am I?  What is my true nature?  How does it help me give and receive strength and wisdom?  
Chicago's Millennium Park Last
Friday

What Do I Love?  This should shape my days and provide texture for my inner and outer life.  

How Shall I Live,  Knowing I Will Die?  I am aware at this stage of my life that time is short and every moment is a gift.  

What Is My Gift to the Family of the Earth?  There are many things I can no longer do.  That's okay with me.  I feel grateful every day for the gifts I can still give and to have some grace about receiving.  I'm going to try harder not to argue and just say "Thank you."

By the way,  Dave's mother-in-law never lost him.  He was with her to the end.  And that's exactly what I want to do.  I want to be with you to the end.


***