Sunday, August 28, 2016

Miller's and Ammo

A week ago yesterday, as we do every Saturday, we walked through my favorite hardware store, Miller's Hardware in Winter Park, Florida.  We usually cut through the store to get cooled off but sometimes we buy something as well.  And we are always treated well no matter how little we spend our how much help we need.  Because that's what Miller's is all about.

But a week ago yesterday I was greatly disturbed because the big clapboard sign on the sidewalk out front said "Ammo."  I wasn't disturbed because they sell ammunition but because the store is located about five miles from the Pulse Night Club where the massacre of 49 young people took place only weeks ago, I thought the sign on the sidewalk was in poor taste and offensive.  However, I said nothing.

But I thought about it for several days.  And then on Thursday there was a letter to the editor in the paper about the ammo sign.  This made me feel bad because if I'd said something Miller's might have removed the sign from the sidewalk and avoided the bad publicity.

So yesterday I was determined to tell them, in a loving way, how I felt.  But when we got there the sign had been removed so the problem was solved.

What I wanted to remind them of was that the big "ammo" sign on the sidewalk is not who they are.  They are not about dividing people.  They treat every person with kindness.  Decades before the big box stores started treating women with respect because they realized it made them richer, Miller's was known as "the women's hardware store."

They are fair and impartial.  For instance, they are selling Chia heads of both Trump and Hillary.


***